Below is the candidate statement for Brad McGirr, one of three residents vying for the two-year seat on the Rancho Santa Margarita City Council in the November general election.
The statement is unedited (bullet points were added to denote indented material), and can be challenged for matters of fact through Aug. 25.
Here are links to all candidates for RSM City Council:
FOR CITY COUNCIL MEMBER
Rancho Santa Margarita is safe, clean and financially secure. Please elect proven leaders who will keep it this way!
Currently, I’m very proud to serve RSM as a City Planning Commissioner and I’ve been a member of the city’s Economic Development Committee. I’m strongly committed to enhancing our business environment for the benefit of all RSM residents. During my tenure, RSM has:
- Expanded the business community to include In-N-Out Burger, Cinepolis Theaters, and BJ‘s Restaurant, among many other enterprises.
- Achieved a balanced budget with financial reserves in excess of $19 million.
- Been recognized by the FBI as one of the safest cities in California.
- Improved the appearance of our city.
- Enacted significant pension reforms.
I’ve been involved with our community since its inception. I was active in campaigning for the Anti-Airport Initiative, and served with the Special Olympics and Big Brothers of Orange County. I have devoted over 15 years coaching and officiating youth sports here in RSM and, without hesitation, I can honestly say that some of the most rewarding moments I have ever experienced involve coaching our youth.
My education and professional experience have prepared me to serve our community. I earned my undergraduate degree from California State University, Fullerton, focusing on Land Use Analysis and Urban Development. I’ve been practicing law since 1986 and serve as a Pro Tem judge for the Superior Court and as a court appointed Arbitrator/Mediator.
I am absolutely dedicated to:
- Lower taxes.
- Managing our budget in a conservative, cautious manner.
- Attracting new economic investment without sacrificing the quality of life that we currently enjoy.
- Maintaining our public safety by fully supporting our Police and Firefighters.
- Creating rewarding volunteer opportunities and activities for teens and adults.
- Expanding and enhancing our public parks, hiking/biking trails and sports facilities.
RSM has been my home since 1986. My wife and I enjoyed our first date here, a picnic at the lake. Julie and I have raised our three children in RSM, and we have seen this community grow from a couple of residential developments to the dynamic community we enjoy today. I love this city. It’s my sincere desire to serve our community; no more, no less.
We are blessed to live in a wonderful city like Rancho Santa Margarita, and with your help, I’m determined to keep it this way.
I respectfully ask for your support.