In addition to being a councilman for Rancho Santa Margarita, Petrilla is a candidate for state assembly in the 73rd district.
Petrilla filed a civil complaint in June against Sarco Inc., doing business as 123eWireless, according to a published report in theOrange County Register.
According to the published report:
- Petrilla was hired in November 2011 as a sales representative and was on active duty in Afghanistan from April to September in 2012.
- Petrilla alleged that upon his return from Afghanistan, his key clients had been given to other representatives.
- Petrilla alleged he was "constantly harassed" and his loyalty to the company questioned by Sarco president Ali Sar because Petrilla attended mandatory drills with the National Guard.
- Petrilla in April 2013 requested two weeks' leave in July for training, and that the harassment increased after that request.
- Petrilla said that on June 4 he sent a reminder to a company vice president and director of human resources about his two-week military commitment from July 8-19, and was then fired by the vice president for being out of the office for three hours on June 3.
- Petrilla said he had previously complained about the company cutting off the labels of competitors and replacing them with their own.