By Martin Henderson
A look at what's going down and coming up for Rancho Santa Margarita and residents of the surrounding area.
• A water line that feeds south Orange County will be shut down for 11 days beginning Monday, Jan. 13. It is expected to go back online Jan. 24. Although no disruption to water service is expected, officials are asking that people use water efficiently. Here's more about the shutdown.
• Monday is National AMBER Alert Awareness Day. The CHP reminds the public to get involved during an alert by listening to news reports, paying attention to highway message signs, and keeping an eye out for the suspect vehicle.• If you think your pet needs a makeover, Tuesday is the perfect day. It’s National Dress Up Your Pet Day, an event which dates back all the way to 2009. If you participate, post a photo in the Patch Announcements!
• Attention self-employed individuals: Wednesday is the deadline for paying estimated taxes for the last quarter of 2013. The government shutdown in October delayed the start of the tax season, but not the date for payments
• A ribbon cutting at Opus Bank at the edge of Lago Santa Margarita takes place Wednesday, 5:30 p.m. The Chamber of Commerce lunch networking mixer is Wednesday, 11:30 a.m., at Daily's Sports Grill; it's $15 for members, $25 for nonmembers.
• The Crown Homeschool Co-Op meets Wednesdays, 9 a.m., in Rancho Santa Margarita. Find out more, just click here.
• Those who do the good work at South County Outreach will have a volunteer training and orientation session on Thursday, 1 p.m., at the Outreach located at 26776 Vista Terrace. Learn more about being a volunteer by clicking here.
• It's a bit of a drive but might be worth it if you know someone with ADD or Autistic Spectrum Disorder. A Thursday event at Mariners Church in Irvine provides some non-drug answers. For more, click here.
• If you've got kids 5-12, they can get their LEGO on during Bricks 4 Kidz Night at the Beach Club on Friday, 6 p.m. Pizza, games and projects are provided over three hours. If it sounds like fun, click here to learn more. It's $25 to register.
• Musical entertainment options in South Orange County include The Coach House, which features The Doors tribute band Wild Child ($20) on Friday, Gun Boat Kings ($12) on Saturday, and Mission Persons ($15) on Sunday.
• You can fly through Disneyland this weekend as the park opens early for the Tinkerbell Half Marathon and other races for families and kids.
• If you like to travel, consider attending the Los Angeles Times Travel Show this weekend at the L.A. Convention Center. The event features several hundred exhibitors and dozens of speakers.
• Coupled with the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday on Jan. 20, next weekend is a three-day weekend.
Got an event? Place it in the Events Calendar on Patch, and use the Announcements to let everyone know about it. Just don't use all capital letters.